Friday, September 01, 2023

Cow Parade 2023

I have no idea what cows have to do with Boston. 

If they were going to go with Boston fauna, the cod would have been a better representation of our fair city. After all, it's the statue of the Sacred Cod that's dangled over the chambers of our State House since 1784, not the Sacred Cow. 

When you think Boson, who thinks cows? We're not Vermont. We're not Wisconsin. 

But people don't tend to get warm and fuzzy about fish. Cows, on the other hand are fun and friendly, cuddly - sorry! - even. 

And the painted cow statues pastured all over the city are absolutely beautiful. 

I have by no means seen them all, but the ones I've come across are absolutely gorgeous.

Here's the cows I've seen. So far.
















They're for sale, a fundraiser for Dana Farber/the Jimmy Fund. Dana Farber specializes in adult cancer, and the Jimmy Fund, part of Dana Farber, is an organization (long associated with the Boston Red Sox - since the days of Ted Williams) that focuses on pediatric cancer.

A completely wonderful cause. 

Wish I had a place to stable one of them, but even if I did, it would be too hard to pick a favorite. (I do keep going back to the Greek vase cow.) 

If I can't have one, at least I can provide them with a small bit of fodder. So I did. 

I'll miss them when they're no longer around. (And they're only up until Monday...)

I hope they raise a ton of moola!

1 comment:

valerie said...

Supposedly, the serendipitous meanderings of Boston's streets are the paved remnants of cow trails.