Monday, December 07, 2020

More than a day that will live in infamy...

Today's Pearl Harbor Day. The 79th anniversary of the "day that will live in infamy," the day that finally got the United States into World War II, a conflict that was - for whatever its absurd precipitating factors had been, going back to WW I, which has to have been the fool's errand of all fools' errands - a righteous war that wiped out fascism (at least temporarily, and in certain locales).

I take Pearl Harbor pretty personally, by the way, as it's the precipitating event that put my parents on the path to meeting. So in a way I can thank those Japanese Zeros sinking the U.S.S. Arizona for my very existence. 

So for today I was going to write about "what Pearl Harbor means to me." And then I happened on a post on the subject from 2011. It's as good as anything I was going to write for today's episode of Pink Slip. So, "We'll remember Pearl Harbor" - take it away!

And here's to Al Rogers, my father - dead now, almost 50 years - for answering the call when it came that December day so many decades ago...





No comments: