Friday, November 28, 2008

The Friday after Thanksgiving

One of the great breakthroughs of the latter part of the twentieth century was making the day after Thanksgiving a kind of/sort of holiday. If it wasn't official, you could swap out Veterans' Day or Columbus Day or one of the  other lesser days for it. (If you did go into work, it was something of a blow-off day. Good for cleaning out files, and catching up on miscellaneous and sundry.)

So, even though I'm no longer working full time, I'm taking the day off.

If it's warm enough, I'll plant my tulip bulbs. Then maybe I'll go through some piles of junk in my office. If it's at all cold and rainy - or maybe just cloudy -  I think I'll take an afternoon nap. Then off to my sister Kathleen's to celebrate my brother's birthday/my birthday (just  a few days apart).

Really, there are few days more wonderful than the day after Thanksgiving - especially if you have the capacity to stay the hell out of stores.

No comments: