Monday, December 19, 2022

Are there suckers born every day, or is it money launderers.

I've got to hand it to Trump. He never fails to amaze me with the tawdry, grifting, ridiculous stunts he continues to pull.

The most recent is, of course, his much heralded sale of a series of digital DJT collector cards. NFT's of course. (Trump collector cards: trading cards :: Trump University: education. There's no there there.)

You need to look through the entire array of Trump cards to fully appreciate the breadth and depth of Trump's idiocy, foulness, narcissism, grift.

The digital cards are poorly photoshopped, with a slenderized version of the Trump face imposed on an image that represents the fantasy world version of DJT. Trump as hunter, as Hollywood mover and shaker, as Wall Street darling. Astronaut. Superb athlete - pick a sport, any sport. Sheriff tough guy. Super hero.

What an ahole. 

But that's not exactly news.

What is news is that these limited edition NFT's have sold out, "earning" Trump over $4.5M for something that probably cost about 100 bucks to produce. 

Were people buying them as a joke? Talk about the ultimate Yankee Swap gag. Are the credulous ninnies and/or Q-ites who lap up his every everything paying "good" money (they're purchased using crypto, so the word "good" doesn't exactly apply) to buy this nonsense?

Or is this just another money laundering scam where money's being funneled by Russians or Saudis into murky accounts where half ends up getting laundered and half ends up padding Trump's wallet? Sure, crypto's been taking a well-deserved hit lately, but it's still a place where you can muck around with dark money transactions. A perfect venue for Trump.

When I first saw pictures of the cards, I started to feel a tiny bit bad for this pathetic bloated blowhard of an old man with a hyperactive Walter Mitty life in which he's lost 100 pounds and 30 years, in which he's assumed all sorts of personas he was too incompetent, weak, and lazy to ever be in real life. But that feeling of pity/sympathy didn't last that long. This is Trump, we're talking here. A terrible man who continues to wreak havoc on our country.

There have been other presidents I didn't like, mostly thanks to their ideology or policies. I

I may not have liked them, but I didn't doubt that they were trying to do what they thought was best for the country. I didn't spend any time worrying that they didn't understand how our government works, what the founding principles of our country are, what makes it great (and sometimes not so great). 

Sure, there were occasional misfires: Reagan with the thinly veiled racism of his "welfare queen." Bush the elder with his Willie Horton acts.

And I also had occasional problems with presidents I actually liked and mostly agreed with. When Clinton was caught up in the Monica Lewinsky brouhaha, I wrote both of my senators (Kennedy, Kerry) asking them to ask Clinton to step down. If, when you hold the most powerful position in the world,  you can't keep your zipper closed to every young woman who comes along, then I think you gotta go.

But Trump is another story entirely.

I can't think of one positive attribute, unless feral survival instinct and the uncanny ability to understand what his audience wants to hear from him count as positive attributes. That an marketing genius, I guess.

Mostly, well, if we played a round-robin game of adjectives describing Trump, we would all grow old and gray before we ran out of things to say. (Okay, I'm already old and gray, but you get the point.)

I hope that, before he can get his sweaty mitts on it, crypto chokes and whatever share of the NFT loot is coming his way is less than he imagined it would be.

What an utter laughingstock. What an utter disgrace.

All I want for Christmas is this rancid charlatan gone.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

I’m 100% with you. Except that I felt not an inkling of sympathy for this despicable creature.