Thursday, December 01, 2022

35 (sort of) fun things to do in Worcester, Massachusetts

As a native Worcesterite, a proud daughter of the Heart of the Commonwealth, I'm always going to be drawn to articles on my hometown.

So I was naturally going to click through on something that promised to reveal "35 Worcester things to do."

Of course, the cynic in me jumps to my immediate, knee-jerk response, which is that the first Worcester thing to do is to get out of town, to flee. But I won't go there. 

35 Worcester things to do? Bring it!

And of course, I realized immediately that the writer had actually never stepped toe in Worcester, Massachusetts. After all, she introduces her list by saying that Worcester is a "charming city."

Worcester certainly has its charms, but I don't think many people would characterize the city as "charming."

From its weather, to the geography (hilly to the max), to its history as an industrial town, Worcester is rugged. Yes, there's plenty of high culture to be had - or high enough. Worcester is broad-shouldered, no-nonsense, no pretense, no BS. 

Worcester is a bit chip-on-the-shoulder. It's not Boston!

Worcester's always a little embarrassed to be, well, Worcester. 

And, while it's the second largest city in New England, Worcester knows deep down that it may be the largest city in the country that no one (outside of New England) has ever heard of. 

But back to the list of things to do. 

Admittedly, there were some that I'd never heard of. But that's because I haven't lived in Worcester for over 50 years, and haven't been there all that often since my mother died in 2001.

And the writer got some of the obvious goodies - Antiquarian Society, Elm Park, the Worcester Art Museum. But missed a few of things that are obvious to me, like go see the Woo Sox play ball!

But some of the things to do in Worcester were just astounding.

Plan a trip to Boston. Spend the day in Salem. Explore Hartford CT. Drive to Rhode Island. Enjoy Cape Cod.

What the every loving f?

Yes, among Worcester's many charms is its central location. An hour from Boston, Providence, Hartford, Springfield, Manchester NH. 

But something to do in Worcester is really not "plan a trip to Boston." Sure, "when spending the day, you'll find an array of fun activities in Boston to enjoy." This is absolutely true. And just off the top of my head, I could easily come up with 35 fun things to do in my adopted hometown. And, if you're visiting New England from elsewhere, staying in Worcester isn't a bad bet. There's even a train to take you back and forth to Boston, so you don't have to drive into the big city. 

Salem? Great choice for a tourist coming to New England. And Salem is a charming city, with tons of things to do while you're there. My sister Trish lives in Salem, and I spend a lot of time there. If I didn't live in Boston, I'd live in Salem. But if you're in Worcester, shouldn't the recommendation be to climb Mount Wachusett, avoid breaking your neck clambering over the rocks at Purgatory Chasm, swim Lake Quinsigamond?

Not go to Salem.

Exploring Hartford. Driving to Rhode Island. Enjoying Cape Cod. All great ideas. Just not what you'd do in Worcester.

How about visit the interesting college campuses in town? Worcester Tech. Holy Cross. Clark University. Assumption. How about pick apples at one of Worcester County's orchards? Skate in the winter on the City Hall rink? Check out where Dr. Robert Goddard launched space exploration on Packachoag Hill way back in the 1920's? Eat a Coney Island hot dog?

Even though I made the choice when I left Worcester more than fifty years ago, I really don't think the fun thing to do in any city is to get out of town.

If I'm in Worcester, damn it, I'll find my fun things to do in Worcester

Makes me want to go out and scarf down a Table Talk Cherry Pie and wash it down with a Polar orange dry soda. 

No comments: