Wednesday, December 01, 2021

They say it's your birthday

I suspect that most folks are at least a bit curious about who shares their birthday. I know that I am.

Not that it means anything. It's just that, well, it's kinda sorta interesting. 

So who've I got?

It used to be a good thing that Woody Allen and I were both born on December 1st. And then he turned out to be a narcissistic, unfunny creep. (Maybe his birthdate was misrecorded.)

But I'll always have Bette Midler who was, is, and will always be someone I'm proud to share a birthday with. Happy Birthday, Bette.

I ran through the list of fellow December 1st-ers, and I have to admit that there were plenty I never heard of. Annette Haven? Akala? Golden Brooks?

Others were a pleasant surprise:

Lou Rawls, Richard Pryor, Janelle Monae, Treat Williams. And Gilbert O'Sullivan. I haven't thought of him in years.  Because, truly, how often do I land on "Alone Again" as a shower song?

Then there's Mary Martin! Peter Pan, Annie Oakley, Nellie Forbush, Maria von Trapp. Fabulous!

I also, sadly, share a birthday with Matthew Shepard, the young gay man so brutally murdered in Wyoming so many years ago now. That poor boy. His poor family.

Who else is out there? Golfer Lee Trevino. Zoe Kravitz. And John Densmore of The Doors. I've never heard of John Densmore, but I was a bit of a Doors fan back in the day. 

Charlene Tilton is also a birthday-mate. Charlene Tilton, you may ask? She played Ewing granddaughter Lucy on Dallas, a glitzy evening soap of the late 1970's and 1980's. Who shot J.R.? Not Lucy!

And Gyorgy Zhukov, who helped win World War II.

There are a few (other than Woody Allen) I'd rather have been born on some other day.

Mafiosi Thomas "Three Fingers Brown" Lucchese. And the ultra-unpleasant Senator Rick Scott of Florida. Worse yet, Pablo Escobar, who shares not just my birthday but my birthyear. Yuck! 

The most peculiar name that came up as Armin Meiwes. Inspired by the tale of Hansel & Gretel, this German nutter found someone on an onlne site for those with a cannibal fetish (!) who was willing to have Meiwes kill and eat him. Meiwes found his man, and the details of their encounter are beyond gruesome. (Do not, under any circumstance, google the name Armin Meiwes.)

But let's forget about Armin Meiwes, Woody Allen, Pablo Escobar.

Think lovely thoughts, as Mary Martin instructed us in Peter Pan

And one of those lovely thoughts is The Beatles:
They say it's your birthday
Well, it's my birthday too, yeah
They say it's your birthday
We're gonna have a good time
I'm glad it's your birthday
Happy birthday to you
And Happy Birthday to me. 

---------------------------------------------------------------
Update: It's Jen Psaki's birthday, too! Yay!

1 comment:

Roger said...

Merry thoughts to you on your special day. Do something special just for yourself.