Friday, March 30, 2018

Peep o’ the morning to you…

As so often in the past, my Easter-related post will be devoted to Peeps. After all, in my book, it isn’t Easter until I’ve bitten the head off of a fresh, classic yellow Peep.

For years, the Washington Post’s Peeps Diorama contest was an excellent source of Peeps content. But, alas, last year they decided not to run the contest. Fortunately, the Washington City Paper has taken up the slack.

I have put zero thought into what I would have done if I were to enter a Peeps diorama contest, so I probably shouldn’t criticize, but the Top Ten didn’t seem especially inspired to me (even if the executions were generally good).

The winner was “Night at the Speepeasy.”

Peep diorama

This picture doesn’t do it justice, but if you click through to the article, you can see two hapless cops out front, completely unaware of what’s going on behind that innocent looking door.

The runner up, “Cherry Blossom Peep Up Bar,” which depicts – in Peep terms – an actual pop-up bar in the DC area.

peep diorama 2

Although I don’t get the reference, I like this one because it’s beautiful – well, if anything based on Peeps an actually be beautiful – and, although I’ve never seen them, I’m a sucker for cherry blossoms.

My favorite was “Peeper Curry is Awed by Marshmallow Obama at the National Peeptrait Gallery.”

Michcell O Peep

For those unfamiliar with the absolutely adorbs picture on which this one is based, here you go:

Michelle and Parker

(The little girl’s name is Parker Curry.)

Meanwhile, Peeps Diorama contests have apparently become a thing. There are contests in Minneapolis. Nantucket. Racine. Olympia, Washington. Lake Worth, Florida. And a whole bunch of other places, including Bedford, Mass. So if I’m feeling creative next year, I have a place to go.

Anyway, Happy Easter to all, and to all a Peepnight.

And Happy April Fools Day, if that’s your thing.

No comments: