Monday, February 19, 2024

Selectively celebrating Presidents' Day

I actually think Joe Biden has been a pretty good president, considering the malign endogenous (intra-US: think DJT and the Congressional puppets whose strings he's pulling, and the generally fetid political atmosphere) and exogenous (everything else) arrayed against him. Not that he's been by any means perfect. He hasn't IMH - and no doubt Underinformed - O, Biden could be more forceful when it comes to Netanyahu, should be exercising his executive authority on border matters, and a few other things. Still, on balance he's been pretty darned good - and good for the country. Running a pretty much scandal-free administration (save the ginned up BS that Jordan, Comer and their compatriots keep coming up with). Getting an infrastructure bill passed. Doing something about insane drug prices. Restoring respect for the US throughout the the world (save for the Gaza situation, which is admittedly a pretty big 'save for').

That said, I would have preferred it if he had decided not to run for a second term.

No, I don't think Biden's demented. His verbal gaffes aren't appreciably different from the ones he's been making throughout his career. (Interesting that even political opponents like Kevin McCarthy insist that the President is sharp in negotations, etc.) And I chalk up his sometimes hesitant walking to his ideopathic peripheral neuropathy. (I'm seven years younger than Joe, and when my ideopathic peripheral neuropathy is kicking up, that's how I walk.)

But he's 81 years old, FFS. Although he's pretty fit, he's undeniably an old man. And he's slowing down.

I wish he had bowed out. But, alas, that die is cast.

So, Biden 2024 it is. Go, Joe!!!

The opposite is too dreadful to imagine. 

Back to my selectively celebrating Presidents' Day:

Happy Presidents Day to President Joe Biden. You are someone whose presidency I am selectively celebrating.

And here's last year's roundup of  who else is on my celebration plate. Make that celebration bowl as, once again, I will be lifting a spoon of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia to at least some of our presidents. 

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Agreed.