Friday, January 04, 2019

Word.

Well, the Oxford Dictionaries have spoken, and the word is that their Word of the Year for 2018 is toxic.

Works for me, given the level of political toxicity that exists. Toxic didn’t make the list primarily because of politics, however. In 2018, toxic was most closely associated with toxic masculinity. For the record, I’m all for masculinity, but absolutely believe that, when it comes to masculinity, a little toxicity goes a lot way, right bro?

The runners-up for Oxford’s WotY were an interesting bunch.

For starters, I’d never heard the term Big Dick Energy (BDE), largely because I don’t typically didn’t follow the ups and downs of the Ariana Grande/Pete Davidson. (It was with respect to their relationship that the term went viral.) But the initial reference was to Anthony Bourdain – and yes, I was a fan – and Tony (I’ll pretend I knew him because the sister of one of my friends is married to AB’s brother, if you can follow that) exuded BDE, which is defined as “low-key, self-assured poise…an attitude of understated and casual confidence.” Despite that “dick” in there, BDE – which is considered to some extent to be the opposite of toxic masculinity – has become a gender-neutral term. That said, when I hear BDE what comes to mind is Michael Lewis’ description of the Salomon Brothers alpha males in his 1989 book Liar’s Poker: Big Swinging Dicks. Toxic masculinity in action.

Cakeism comes from the Brits, and derives from “having your cake and eating it, too” with particular reference to Brits who favor Brexit, but want to keep all the benefits (such as borderless travel across EU). An altogether excellent word.

Gammon is another Brit term. It’s a “derogatory term for an older middle-class white man whose face becomes flushed due to anger when expressing political (typically right-wing) opinions.” I’m guessing some overlap with toxic masculinity. Just sayin’.

Gaslighting is the word on the runner-up list that I would have given the nod to for top billing.

Gaslighting is the “action of manipulating someone by psychological means into accepting a false depiction of reality or doubting their own sanity.” While I don’t see many members of the Trump cult “doubting their own sanity” – leave that to me - we’re sure seeing plenty of acceptance of “a false depiction of reality.”

It does make me want to re-see the movie Gaslight, about the man who tries to drive his wife crazy. Not run-of-the-mill, been-there-done-that husband driving his wife crazy. But crazy crazy. I’m sure the movie (1944) is a complete psychological howler, à la Now, Voyager. Nonetheless, I definitely want to see it again soon.

Incel. I shudder at the thought of these folks, associated as they are with violent misogyny. Yet another variant on the theme of toxic masculinity. I was going to say “F incels.” But, ah, no.

Orbiting. Guess I’m not young or social media active or social anything active enough to know this one. Orbiting is “the action of abruptly withdrawing from direct communication with someone while still monitoring, and sometimes responding to, their activity on social media.” Stalking light?

Overtourism. Beacon Hill isn’t exactly Venice or Stonehenge, but come the Fourth of July, when the Pops has its fab concert and fireworks just around the corner, my neighborhood is absolutely over-touristed. Years ago, when my sister Trish still lived on The Hill, she came over one Fourth grousing about too many people in “our 7-Eleven.” That 7-Eleven is long gone. It’s a Peet’s now. But these tourists can be a bother. When I try to step out my front door on the Fourth and have to wait for a pause in the tourist flow, I find myself mentally grumbling about outsiders using “our sidewalks.”

Techlash. I’d never heard this one, but if ever an industry deserved a backlash, it would be tech. I did my bit to participate in this movement by no longer looking at Facebook. As one of the admins of a charity’s FB account, I did need to keep my credentials. I never posted to begin with, but I did look at and like the posts of friends and family. No longer. I techlashed my way off of Facebook. Leaning out, as it were.

For the record, Merriam-Webster also names a word of the year. For 2019, it’s justice. Not that I ever thought I’d be jaded about the concept of justice but, come on, justice? Yawn…

I did note after googling that some folks come up with their very own, personal Word of the Year. I can’t be arsed to come up with one, other than maybe arsed…

For 2019, I’ll have to be on the lookout throughout the year and see if I can come up with a word of my own.

------------------------------------------------------------
Source of Oxford list: Oxford Dictionaries 

No comments: