Friday, January 18, 2019

Mondo Kondo

I have not yet given into the temptation to start watching the new Netflix series, Tidying up with Marie Kondo. I’m still getting caught up with Bosch, deciding what to do about Mrs. Maisel (my personal jury is still out), and figuring out whether to embark on Succession.

By I have watched her mesmerizing video on how to fold a t-shirt so that it can be stored standing up, and I can see that it would very easy to get sucked in.

I will actually be applying a modified version of her t-shirt folding process to the t-shirt folding I do when I volunteer in the clothing distribution center at St. Francis House.  Most of what we give out is donated (gently used). But underwear – despite the fact that we do occasionally received used undies, which get immediately tossed out in pre-sort – is all new. When we get a delivery, we fold the t-shirts before we stock our t-shirt drawers.

I’m okay folding the smaller sizes, but when I’m working on the XXXL’s and above, my folding technique is ‘nil. A dozen XXXL t-shirts, no two of my folds are alike. Next time I’m in clothing, I’ll try a modified version of the Kondo method. Our t-shirts do not have to stand on edge, and we prefer them with the front facing out, so we can check the size in the collar before we bring it out to a guest.

Not that I particularly need to join Mondo Kondo.

I’m sure by Marie Kondo’s standards, my condo looks like something out of an episode of Hoarders. But while I admittedly have a lot of stuff around, other than the desk in my office, my home is not especially cluttered. I figured out a long time ago that if you’re relatively neat – no dirty coffee cups and old newspapers strewn around – your place will look clean. So I’m pretty neat.

Which is not to say that I don’t need to tackle my desk. Or go through my junk drawers, dressers, and closets. I did this 3 years ago when I reno’d my condo, and I’ve pretty much held fast on accumulation of more stuff. And I don’t agree with Kondo that you should have no more than 35 books around. Come on! But I could still lighten the load. With luck, we’ll have a couple of snow days when I’ll feel like sorting through things between naps.

Plus I’m entering the age of de-acquisition. When my mother was about the age I am now, you couldn’t leave Worcester carrying something or other that she was trying to get rid of. Thus I came into possession of the cool yellow plate painted with all the fruit on it (hangs in the kitchen), and the charming water colors that an artist friend gave her as an engagement present (they’re in my bedroom).

I do find Marie Kondo’s creation/epiphany story pretty interesting. That is, if Wikipedia is to be trusted. (Which, of course, it is.)

She said she experienced a breakthrough in organizing one day, "I was obsessed with what I could throw away. One day, I had a kind of nervous breakdown and fainted. I was unconscious for two hours. When I came to, I heard a mysterious voice, like some god of tidying telling me to look at my things more closely. And I realized my mistake: I was only looking for things to throw out. What I should be doing is finding the things I want to keep. Identifying the things that make you happy: that is the work of tidying." (Source: Wikipedia)

Well, if I were unconscious for a couple of hours, my first thought would have been to get me to the MGH ER. But whatever. I do like her idea of finding the stuff you want to keep and tossing the rest. Not that I’ll necessarily do it. But I did tell myself that the ornaments that haven’t made it on to the Christmas tree for the last couple of years are going to go this year. The ones that are on the tree are the ones that make me happy.

Anyway, The Boston Globe had an article about Kondo the other day, and interviewed some locals who have become her followers. 

I was particularly intrigued by one fellow:

In Somerville, Kondo’s show has helped T Lawrence-Simon, a professional circus performer and instructor, part with 300 pairs of underpants (a collection amassed while working for a men’s underwear blog). (Source: Boston Globe)

I don’t know whether to be more slack-jawed at the thought of having 300 pairs of underpants, or at the thought that there’s a men’s underwear blog.

Having too much stuff around is, of course, a genuine problem for a lot of folks. And feeling compelled to keep acquiring more things we don’t need is an even bigger problem. Think of all those storage units out there, full of things people haven’t needed and/or used for years.

Think of how easy it is to walk into Home Goods, and how difficult it is to walk out without having picked up a little something or other. The other day, I went in to pick up a pillar candle for my fireplace. Apparently when I swapped out the candy-striped Christmas candle I failed to replace it with the neutral cream-colored candle that’s now I’m guessing packed away in my crawl space with my decorations. So, arguably, I need the new candle to occupy the now-vacant candle holder.

Anyway, while in Home Goods, I was tempted to pick up a charming little blue bowl that caught my eye. Now, I need a charming little blue bowl like I need a life-sized stuffed lowland gorilla. But there I was, almost but not quite buying it.

It’s even easier to cruise around on Amazon and pick stuff up. Most of what I buy is replacement merchandise, practical in nature. But damned if I don’t have three different versions of black suede lace up booties. I think I’m set for life on that front.

Globe writer Beth Teitell pretty much summed up the American consumer dilemma:

Should we worry there is something broken about a society that spends half its time demanding same-day delivery and the remaining time watching a Netflix original series about people getting rid of stuff they probably couldn’t wait to get?

Or should we just renew our Amazon Prime subscriptions and wait for the spark of joy?

Sigh…

No comments: