Friday, December 08, 2023

There are fantasies, and then there are FANTASIES. Part 2

The Neiman-Marcus Fantasy Gifts Book is always a hoot. I have no idea whose fantasies these are, but it is fun to see what my financial betters toss their coins at. That is, if anyone actually buys these high-end stocking stuffers. 

Anyway, yesterday I wrote about the first four gifts in the 2023 wish book. Today, I'll graze through the final four.

One of One Cadillac Carmen Celestiq ($975,000)

If you've ever wanted to go ridin' on the freeway of love in your pink Cadillac; if you're looking for a bespoke, hand-built motor vehicle; if you're interested in the best dining and accommodations that the Motor City has to offer; and if you've got $975K to spare for all of the above, this is the experience for you.

The CELESTIQ, an all-electric vehicle, is "unlike anything available," and the buyer will get to see how a one-off, artisanal car is designed and built. The features will include a:
... 55” pillar-to-pillar HD LED display [which] harmonizes with a studio-quality aural experience to transport your senses into the symphonic, and the hands-free advanced driver assistance comes to life with Super Cruise.

55" pillar-to-shining-pillar HD LED display? Talk about distracted driving. Good thing there'll be Super Cruise when you want to pop into autonomous vehicle mode so you can chill or watch or game or otherwise transport your senses.

But the million dollar question is, who's going to spend nearly a million dollars for a bespoke Cadillac. Time will tell. Or not.

Milan Design Experience with Nina Magon ($380,000)

Maybe if I knew who Nina Magon is, this experience would be a bit more appealing. Alas, I hadn't a clue about her "immersive interior design" and ability to "compose transformative environments." Nor did I know anything about her "signature blend of timelessness and modernity."

As someone who likes to immerse herself in her home, I'm all for immersive interior design. And transformative environments? I'm all for them, too. When I did my condo reno - which was now eight years ago - I absolutely transformed my environment big time. And, coincidentally, deployed my own personal, Nina Magon-like signature blend of timelessness and modernity. 

It cost me plenty, but nowhere near $380K. 

While Nina Magon is HQ'd in Houston, this experience involves a "whirlwind trip to Milan," where whirlwind = four nights/three days for two. This includes a side trip to Lake Como. If it included lunch with George Clooney, then we'd really be talking...

Anyway, if you choose this gift, you'll get to traipse around high-end Italian furniture design factories, and work with Nina to design an area in your home - up to 1,000 square feet (roughly 80% of the area of my condo) and furnish it with $100K worth of luxury Italian furniture. 

My favorite element of this experience - other than the possible sighting of George Clooney - is the throw-in of 20 signed copies of Nina's new book, Evoke, "for special gifting to your friends and family this holiday season." Alas, I don't know 20 folks who'd want this coffee table book. Guess I'll pass.

Immersive Baccarat Crystal Experience ($75,000)

It's hard to cheap out on a fantasy gift, but the Baccarat experience, at the low, low price of $75K, will let your special Santa do just that. 

With this gift, you and a pal can "craft your own masterpieces." And it looks like Nina Magon isn't the only one who does immersive. As part of this immersive experience - is there any other kind? - you spend a night in NYC at the luxury Baccarat Hotel, where the low-end rooms appear to start at over $1K per night. And you get a "curated" dinner by a Michelin-starred chef. (Michelin star? Good big boy!) Then you first-class jet off to Paris for a few nights, where the luxe continues. And where you get a jaunt out to the Baccarat factory where you'll get to blow your own crystal. Stop! You're blowing my mind!

Alas, to me, while the price is attractive (in a relative and relatively insane way), a little crystal goes a mighty long way.

Star Performer with American Ballet Theater ($195,000)

I can definitely see someone buying this one for their precious little ballet child. After all, you'd get to see your tiny dancer actually have a walk-on (pirouette-on?) role in "a two-performance experiential extravaganza" of either Swan Lake or Romeo and Juliet. The tiny (or not so tiny) dancer will get to shadow a Principal Dancer to hone their performance. And then:
For your debut, you’ll be transformed into character with a costume fitting by the Company’s wardrobe department and the hair and makeup team. After you perform, you’ll watch a portion of the show from the stage wings and step onto the stage once more to present flowers to a Principal Dancer. Before you pirouette back home, after the final curtain has fallen, you’ll receive flowers, pose for photos with dancers, and take with you ballet shoes signed by a Principal Dancer—and have your name listed in “Playbill” as a supporter for the entire American Ballet Theatre 2024 Summer Season.

While you'll get to work with whatever Principal is available, "other dancers may choose to participate/interact with you, but at their own inclination." Hah!

Of all the fantasies in this year's catalog, this is pretty much the only one I can see being the actual fantasy of an actual person - most likely a little ballet princess. 

The experience is billed as "the ultimate money-can't-buy fantasy pinnacle for any ballet or dance fan."

Duh? Money, in fact, can buy it. $195K worth of money.

What makes me smile about this experience is imagining a stiff, clumsy, two-left-feet person such as myself buying it. Would my performance be me walking across the stage in my costume, hoping not to trip over my own feet? I can see the Principal Dancer rolling her eyes when I drop the flowers I'm supposed to put in her arms. I can see the other dancers choosing not to interact with me, but hopefully stifling their inclination to laugh (or sneer) in my face.

All these fantasies...I'm just exhausted.

No comments: