Thursday, February 14, 2019

Man repeller? Happy Valentine’s Day to you, too.

Well, it’s Valentine’s Day, so it’s time for those without a sweetheart – those without a sweetheart who would actually like to have a sweetheart – to think about the steps they can take to make sure that, come next February 14th, they’re heading out for a champagne dinner and a little box that holds a Jane Seymour heart necklace from Kay’s (where, as head’s up consumers, we know that every kiss begins with). Rather than sitting there staring at the bouquet of red tulips you bought for yourself at the supermarket.

Anyway, if you’re a young woman looking to up your man game, the Daily Mail – and what organization is better positioned to do so – has some advice on “How to avoid turning your home in a MANrepeller.”

I would have thought that the advice from an interior therapist – and, yes, there is such a thing: Jennifer Anniston used one after she split with Justin Theroux – would be along the lines of “don’t use pink as your primary decorating color; avoid ruffles; no cloying little angel statues; limit the number of stuffed animals. Maybe there’d be more updated, edgy suggestions: don’t leave a tampon floating in the toilet (sorry), no Brides magazines in sight (at least not until and unless you’ve progressed beyond the Jane Seymour heart necklace from Kay).

But, no.

One MANrepeller is apparently having any art work that contains images of women – especially strong, iconic women. Especially single women.

Not that I worry about having a Man-repelling home, but I have very little art work that depicts humans. I do have plenty of photos of strong and iconic (to me!) women, however.  And some of them are single.

But the interior therapist who analyzed the journalist’s flat for the Daily Mail piece warns that having too many pictures of women gives off this vibe:

“I’m fine on my own. I don’t need anybody else. I am perfectly comfortable as I am. Don’t mess with me”.’

Hmmm. I would think that, for the right guy, finding a woman who’s fine on her own would be an attracter, not a repeller. Maybe the ‘don’t mess with me’ vibe is what’s no good. But what do I know?

Clutter is another must avoid, which makes sense. Too much clutter might suggest hoarder tendencies, or other mental health issues. Or maybe just that you’re a slob.

Then there’s having a cactus. “Too spiky.” And get rid of those novels with “depressing titles.” (Death in Venice? To Kill a Mockingbird? As I Lay Dying?)

And whatever the titles of your books, don’t keep them in your bedroom.

Huh? The bedroom is exactly where you want to have books.

The bookcase in my bedroom holds four shelves of books I haven’t read yet. But will someday. Perhaps when I’m snowed in.

There are also books piled (in very neat piles, I must say) on my cedar chest. Good thing I only have to open that cedar chest a couple of times a year, when I do my summer/winter clothing switch. These are books I’ve acquired in the past year. Or books that I’ve started and haven’t quite gotten around to finishing, but haven’t ruled out revisiting entirely.

Then there’s the comfy arm chair and hassock. I always wanted a comfy arm chair and hassock in my bedroom. I pictured myself sitting in my comfy arm chair, feet on my hassock, and reading a book. Instead, the comfy arm chair and hassock have become the repository for the books I’m going to read when I finish reading the books that are on the bed.

But according to the interior therapist:

‘We need to make this room a boudoir to welcome a man into. A space where he feels comfortable and confident. And not squashed out by anything else.’

Personally, I wouldn’t be attracted in the least to a man who didn’t feel comfortable and confident when there were books around. But maybe that’s just me.

Happy Valentine’s Day to all, especially to the single ladies who are getting into bed tonight with a good book. (Bonus points if it’s a novel with a depressing title.)

No comments: