Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Here she is, the almost Miss America, Taryn Delanie Smith.

When I was a kid, I regularly watched Miss America. (Remember, there wasn't all that much on TV.) I loved the talent part, especially when someone had a dopey (IMHO) "talent." (As I recall, dramatic readings were the go-to for those lacking in talent.) And the questions, especially when someone had a dopey answer. (If I could meet anyone in history, it would be Plato, so that we could discuss the philosophies of the ages.)

In 1966, the contest had a local tilt, as Carol Ann Kennedy, who lived in our parish, was Miss Massachusetts. I didn't know her. She lived in a different neighborhood. She hadn't gone to parochial school. (Imagine that.) But when I was in fifth grade, she choreographed the stepdance to Christmas in Killarney, which was the entry for our class in the school's annual Christmas pageant. I wasn't one of the dancers - Sister Saint Wilhelmina chose the cute, short girls to dance, and I was neither; besides, she hated me (the loathing was mutual) - but I had seen Carol Ann Kennedy, a very pretty blonde who actually had some talent. Despite that, she lost. (I later realized that the winners almost always came from pageant-crazy states in the South. The very traits that made East Coast girls hip to the Beach Boys made them anathema to Miss America judges.) 

It's been decades since I watched Miss America, and I haven't a clue whether it's still on TV even.

But I recently came across Taryn Delanie Smith, Miss New York for 2022. She's a pretty smart cookie, an advocate for homeless women, and works as a media consultant and social media/TikTok presence. (I have no idea what that means.) Her talent is being a comedian.

And I saw one of her very funny - and very sweet - comic bits via a link on TikTok. 

In the video, she plays Denise, a recurring character, who works as a receptionist and customer service rep in heaven. 
Denise answers both personal and professional calls while she’s at work but always does so with a take-no-BS attitude and her trademark New York accent.

“No, so she calls me, and she’s like, ‘I wanna speak to God,'” Denise says in one clip while clearly taking a personal call. “And I’m like, ‘Do you just call Walmart and just expect to speak with the CEO?’ No, you’re talkin’ to me. It’s ridiculous.”
Later on, she continues working, fielding calls from concerned people in limbo who want to know why they didn’t get into Heaven.

“Looks like you made 48 Starbucks baristas cry,” she tells one caller. “And that does ding your credit up here.”

In another video, Denise assists someone in Heaven who wants to know if their ex-husband made it in, too. When the woman finds out that he didn’t, she’s ecstatic.

“Oh, this is good news!” Denise replies with a laugh. “Omg yeah, he didn’t make the cut. Yeah, omg, congratulations!" (Source: Yahoo)

But the videos have taken on another life, or afterlife, of their own.

Fans text her letting her know that someone they loved has died. And Taryn incorporates this into her skits in an incredibly kind and moving way. 

The video I came across is here. (Hope you can see what I'm talking about. I don't know if TikTok via Twitter works if you're not on Twitter.)

On the video, she responds to someone who sends her this text:

If you don't mind, would you mind welcoming my friend Leah please. She's shy and probably scared because she was only 20 and it happened so fast.

So Denise welcomes Leah, tells her that heaven's great, that Leah will be okay, and will be able to keep tabs on everyone she cares about. Denise asks what Leah's favorite food is - everything's available in heaven (good to know) - and offers to shows her around. She makes Leah feel at home, which is a good thing, considering that Leah'll be there for infinity. 

Even to this ardent cynic, it was all so wonderfully sweet. 

The kindness, the warmth, the empathy. It all provides great comfort to the folks whose loved one has died. 

Maybe these texts are part of the comedic schtick. If so, it's brilliant, just brilliant. And I'm pretty sure Taryn's work provides immense comfort and joy to those who view her work.

I'm pretty much of a "this is it" kind of guy, a Big Sleeper. But I'll be pleasantly surprised if there is an afterlife, and if it's like the heaven where Denise works as a receptionist.

In December, Taryn Delanie Smith was first-runner up in the Miss America pageant. (Surprisingly, the winner wasn't a Southern Belle. It was Grace Starke from Wausau, Wisconsin.) But as far as I'm concerned, she's all the winner I need.

No comments: