Thursday, March 14, 2019

That's no beanie, that's a watch cap

Here's the mistaken identity hipster picture from Getty images:


That looks to me like a knit cap, a watch cap. NOT A BEANIE.

This is what a beanie looks like, from the old college try beanie era:



And here's what parochial school girls' beanies looked like in the 1950's:


This is not the church-of-my-youth. Way too modern. This looks postwar suburban to me. That light wood. The modern lines of the pews. And that's not my grammar school, either. But close enough. Our jumpers had a U-shaped neck. And our bow-ties were different. Plus our beanies had a patch on them that said OLA (for Our Lady of the Angels) on it, rather than the directly embroidered on look here.  But, dammit, those girls are wearing BEANIES!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

As a former beanie wearer, I concur about the beanies.