Monday, February 05, 2018

Truck Day

Today is the morning after the Super Bowl night before, but I’m writing this on Saturday, pre-game, so I don’t know whether the Patriots won or lost. If I were a betting woman, I’d say they won, something they’ve proven themselves pretty good at. But the only bet I made was in the random square matrix at the gym. My numbers are Pats/Eagles 7/7 and 0/3, and I’m hoping to run the board.

Lose or win, I won’t lose any sleep over the Pats. (I may lose sleep over Jack Pearson’s burning to death in the night’s episode of This Is Us.)

Even without being a diehard fan, in the run up to the Super Bowl, it was kind of fun walking around the ‘hood to see how folks were getting into the Pats 1Super Bowl, Go Pats, mood. We’re a bit yupscale and hifalutin to go all in, but there was plenty to be seen,

Here’s what I saw in the window of Blackstone’s, a very nice gift shop I frequent on Charles Street. Not too overtly Patriotic, but to the right, that greeting card is of Gillette Stadium.

Moving right along, Pats 2it’s not every shopping drag that has not just one, but two NRO stores. (One’s the kids version.) The ultimate prepster shop  – or, given the neighborhood, penultimate: there’s also a J. McLaughlin that specializes in gear like embroidered whale pants –I actually thought that the NR in NRO stood for Nantucket Reds. To my disappointment, the acronym stands for North River Outfitters. They went all in for The Big Game, complete with a Wanted sign featuring Tom Brady (wanted for stealing teams from other teams).Pats 4

The Red Wagon children’s shop (pricey but very nice kids clothing) gets my “Cutest Thing” award for that tee-shirt with the goat wearing a Tom Brady shirt. (Our Tom, after all, is the Greatest Of All Time.)

Pats Coach Bill Belichick is also considered (at least in thisPats 3 neck of the woods) a GOAT in the coaching category. Belichick is known as an anti-fashion icon, typically sporting windbreakers with sawed off sleeves or a hoodie. Thus he has earned the nickname “Hoodie”,, which is a bit easier to say than Sawed-Off-Windbreaker-Sleeves.  In a tribute to Belichick, Sweet, the cupcake shop – and don’t get me going on how so many cupcake shops manage to stay in business – had a number of Patriots-themed cupcakes. It’s a bit difficult to see, but that grey topper with the Pats logo on it is actually a hoodie. (And, yes, I bought a couple to bring to my sister’s for our Super Bowl watch-in.)

I also took a stroll through the Public Garden, and Mrs. Mallard and 20180203_140733her duckling brood were representin’.

If all goes well for the Pats, we’ll be making way for a duck boat parade tomorrow or the day after.

Anyway, this may be Celebration Day (let the incessant coverage continue!) or it may be Boo Hoo What Happened Day (New England shakes its collective head in disbelief), but what’s REALLY GREAT ABOUT MONDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2018 IS THAT IT’S TRUCK DAY.

Yes, today, the truck with the Red Sox gear leaves Fenway Park for Spring Training. Football, meh! Let the real games begin.

No comments: