Monday, September 01, 2014

Labor Day, 2014

In keeping with what has become a Labor Day tradition, Pink Slip is taking the day off.

Which I’ll do, with a link to an earlier Labor Day post, Once Again, I Dreamed I Saw Joe Hill Last Night.

And in keeping with what has become another Labor Day tradition, I will doff my worker’s cap to my brother Rick.

Rick has devoted his life to the labor union movement, first as an organizer, then as political director of the Massachusetts AFL-CIO, now as the Executive Secretary-Treasurer of the Greater Boston Labor Council. Much of what he works on is getting progressive candidates elected to office, so if you like Senator Elizabeth Warren, or our new mayor, Marty Walsh, you have Rick in part to thank for their being in office.

Anyway, I’ve met few people in my life who are as passionate about what they do, as devoted to their work, as committed to sticking to their principles, as my brother Rick.

Rick came home from the hospital on my 6th birthday, the best present I ever got.

Happy Labor Day, Stick.

No comments: