Friday, November 09, 2012

I’ll miss the calls and e-mails. Hope they all stay in touch…

I know, I know.

If you look behind the label and see the real e-mail address, it was actually “info@barackobama.com. but I still liked getting those e-mails from Beyoncé.

I mean, they seemed so personal. Or at least quasi-personal.

Like the one that began:

Maureen --

I usually don't email you -- but I have an amazing invitation I have to share.

Jay and I will be meeting up with President Obama for an evening in NYC sometime soon.

And closed with:

Can't wait to meet you!
Love,
B

Now, some might maintain that B was just looking for me to pony up a few bucks more, but I have to say that I feel that we bonded a bit, even if we didn’t get to meet. There was, after all, that “Love, B” that indisputably gives me a pretty strong sense that there may be a real relationship between me and B in the making.

“Love, B”…

Back at you, girlfriend. How’s Blue Ivy doing? Remind me that I owe you a baby card and a copy of Make Way for Ducklings.

I’d like to stay in touch with Alec Baldwin, too. And Ashley Judd.

Plus I have to say I was thrilled to get a phone call from Matt Damon.

I was truly sorry to miss his call. And, fool that I am, I deleted the message.

Some folks may believe that Matt’s call – and the one from Bill Clinton – were robo-calls. But I know better.

Silly boys, the two of them. Didn’t they realize that I was going to vote for Elizabeth Warren even if those guys hadn’t reached out to me. Which leads me to believe the calls were actually personal, and that both of them just wanted to yack a bit. (Next time, either leave a call back number or try me on my cell.)

And all those e-mails from senators – John Kerry, Claire McAskill, Patty Murray. Kristen Gillibrand.

She’s not a regular, but I appreciated that occasional notes from Jill Biden.

And I really loved the ones from Joe Biden – who seems just like the kind of regular Joe I grew up with in Main South Worcester. So what if mostly he was looking for money. He asked so nice. Though I don’t quite get what’s going on with the request for $113. It seems like such a quirky amount… Anyway, I know you’re busy, but if you could let me know what’s up with that $113 amount.

Personally, the phone call from Bill Clinton would have been quite enough. With those e-mails, he doubled down on contacts. Nice!

I have to say that Michelle Obama is someone that I’d just love to give a big hug to. So it was always good to hear from her. Not to mention hearing so regularly from her husband, including the personal note he sent out last night at 1:13 a.m. just before he was going to go on and make his speech (which was, by the way, well worth staying up for). 

1:13 a.m.? $113?

Is 113 some kind of magic number, like 666?

Anyway, I know that all of your are busy running the country – well, maybe not Beyoncé and Alex Baldwin – but I will say, every time I saw your name in my inbox, I got a smile on my face.

I may not have been all that diligent at getting back to you, or when it came to clicking through and donating a few bucks each and every time that one of you asked for it.

But I do have three words for you all.

STAY. IN. TOUCH.

1 comment:

katrog said...

113 = january 2013 in txt-spk