Monday, September 22, 2008

Curb that age bias!

I was poking around the WSJ Online the other day, and stumbled across an article on what job-seekers over 50 need to do if they want to get hired. Actually, I'm going to change my wording here, since I want to avoid a word like stumble, which may be construed as something that old people do. Rather, I'll now say that I searched and purposely found said article. (Said article, by the way, may be subscription-only. I subscribe, admitting to a clear old-fogy predisposition to actually pay for content when there's so much good stuff out there for free.)

One part of the article dealt with tips on handling the delicate matter of your being of a certain age:

Curb age bias. You can address some of the common, unspoken predispositions that hiring managers may have about senior candidates -- like fears that older workers lack energy or are already looking ahead to retirement -- says Mr. [Dave] Opton [president and founder of Execunet]. Casually reveal information to counteract that, he explains. You might say, "I'm sorry I wasn't in when you called...I was in the middle of a six-mile jog."

Excellent advice - to which I'll add a few suggestions of my own on what to say and what not to say on an interview:

What to say What not to say
This year for vacation, I'm thinking of bungee jumping off the North Face of the Grand Canyon. My husband and I are considering one of those pricey alumni tours to New Zealand - you know, the ones where you stay in fancy hotels, eat gourmet meals, and the tour guides schlep your bags for you.
I go back and forth on Coldplay, and right now I'm in the over-rated camp. I still like listening to Meet the Beetles on the portable hi-fi I got as a high school graduation gift.
Round the clock cable news and, of course, the Internet are making for a more informed society.
Nothing I like better than a rainy Sunday and The New York Sunday Times.
There's a great sale on at Ann Taylor's.
I buy all my clothes at Talbots.
I was considering an iPhone, but for business I really think that a Blackberry is a better choice.
Let me put that date in my FiloFax.
My last manager, who will be happy to provide a reference, is now at Google. The first manager I worked for, who will be happy to provide a reference, survived the D-Day landing on Omaha Beach. (If you reach him by phone, please shout.)
I was considering running Chicago again, but it's so darned flat. Three minutes on the Stairmaster is a near-death experience.
I'm so happy that there are more vegetarian options on the menu - and smaller portions.
That tub of Five Alarm Chili looks good, but I can't risk the heartburn.
Hard to believe that 9-11 was seven years ago. Hard to believe that JFK's been dead nearly 45 years.
I'm playing in a squash tourney that evening.
I'll be babysitting my grandkids that evening.
My BMI is 22. I can't manage to shed those 20 pounds I gained in my 40's.
Twittering can be addictive. Who cares that you just ate a peach?
24/7 connectivity and availability gives me true work-life balance. 24/7 connectivity and availability makes you a slave to the office.
Blogs are an excellent way for a company to communicate with customers and prospects. What's a blog?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like your article about the age bias. Yes, it is here to stay. I am a career coach and have been coaching and placing people in jobs in northern california for 11 years. I work with 8th graders to 70 year old clients.
I always tell my clients that are over 40 to dress contemporary, be themselves but dress with a little flare, like wear conservative and up-to-date suits but put some color into it as well. Also, researching the company (exec bios) and checking out websites like jobvent.com, vault.com and going to forums on indeed.com will tell you a lot about the company culture. If the culture is young and the hiring manager is 30 and you are 50, it is likely that you won't get hired. It's just a fact. The great news is that their are a lot of companies that respect baby boomers and older workers because they know they will be loyal and hardworking. So I always tell my clients that hiring managers do discrimanate against age, especially if they are young and if the culture works hard and plays hard.

Maureen Rogers said...

Rebecca - Thanks for your note, and the good advice that it's best to avoid the really young-culture companies. Why set yourself up for rejection?