Monday, September 03, 2007

I dreamed I saw Joe Hill last night

...and Joe told me to take the day off to celebrate Labor Day.

Far be it from me to ignore the advice of a dead labor organizer, so I'm not working today.

Meanwhile, Happy Labor Day to all the white collar, pink collar, blue collar, no collar workers who, we are told, "lead the world in labor productivity." Let's hope that are some point this starts to translate back into workers' pay packets.

Happy Labor Day especially to those who received pink slips during the last year. I hope that you've all found the work you want and need - or will soon.

Finally, Happy Labor Day to my brother Rich, who is the Executive Director of the Greater Boston Labor Council. Solidarity forever!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe Hill was a radical labor activist and member of the International Workers of the World (Wobblies). He was executed after what many believe was a crooked trial aimed at framing Joe because of his union organizing.  "I dreamed I saw Joe Hill last night" is the title (and first line) of a famous labor anthem.

No comments: