Friday, August 03, 2007

F.A.T.H.E.A.D.S.

The other day, I posted about I Hate Your Job's Chuck Westbrook's delightful coinage: the G.O.T.F.A.T. Maneuver, in which an employ caught in the act of goofing off, tries to quickly recover by putting on a show of faux busy-ness.

In my post, I challenged Chuck to acronym-ize the word FATHEAD, my name for those who don't ever bother to try to cover up, but go right ahead obviously wasting company time.

I am happy to report that Chuck is up to the challenge, and we now have:

F.A.T.H.E.A.D.S. - Fully Apathetic Towards Hiding Egregious Actions Dismissed Swiftly.

I like the idea that the actions could have been dismissed swiftly, and the those caught in them should have been dismissed swiftly. Alas, it always seems to take time to catch up with F.A.T.H.E.A.D.s

Here's Chuck's post, which you should go read (along with the rest of his blog, by the way). 

And many thanks to Chuck for his immediate response to my call.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is all part of "Expectations Theory" in companies that I've seen over and again throughout my thirty years in management:

Employee or manager A is hired and works at 60% to 70% of expectations. Nothing more is expected they and go on with their career in the company.

Employee or manager B is hired and works at 100% or higher of expectations. More is constantly expected from this individual.

Employee A does something totally unexpected and temporarily jumps to 80%. Employee B has a setback and drops temporarily to 70%.

Employee A receives a promotion and employee B is disciplined or fired.

It's all about expectations.