Friday, April 27, 2007

Strap-hanging on Skybus

There's a new airline coming to Boston.

Well, it's not exactly coming to Boston-Boston.

It's coming to Portsmouth, NH, actually, which - if it's not exactly Boston-Boston, it is Boston in the sense that it's only about 50 miles away. Which is close enough to drive up for lunch on a Saturday (and has fun shopping and touristy stuff.) And people in New Hampshire do root for the Red Sox.

So, I can see why Skybus might call Portsmouth, NH, Boston.

Presumably, there are more people who want to fly from Boston to Columbus, Ohio than from Portsmouth to Columbus, Ohio.

Although at the introductory fare they're offering - $10 one-way, weekday, if I've got it straight - means that pretty much everybody in Portsmouth can afford to make the trip. Heck, at that price, the people in Portsmouth almost can't afford to stay home.

I find the notion of the rock-bottom airlines very intriguing.

I know that they cram in more seats, and cut down on anything that even vaguely approaches the idea of "frill".

But, still, $10 to fly from Boston/Portsmouth to Columbus?

Maybe they're trying to get us hooked on the trip.

But I've been to Columbus and, while it's a pleasant enough city, unless you're an Ohio State Buckeye, part of the state government, or trying to sell something to Nationwide Insurance, I don't think there's all that much that would woo you there on a steady basis.

I'll take their word that they've learned from the finest - Southwest Airlines and Ireland's own Ryanair - how to squeeze costs out of the system by automating everything in sight (although they still have pilots who do the flying - or at least watch the instrument panel) and "flying in and out of less congested airports."

That would be Portsmouth. And Columbus.

Which I'm guessing are less congested because fewer people live, work, and care to go there.

Then there are the Skybus Rules of Flying (which is, I'll give them props here, quite wittily and engagingly written) :

1. Don’t pay for everyone else’s baggage.

But you do pay $5 per checked bag (limit of two at that price), so I hope they're really policing what people carry on. (No, that steamer trunk will not fit in the overhead bin.)

2. Hungry? Thirsty? Bring cash.

Okay, unless we're stranded on the tarmac for 10 or 12 hours (which is so February 2007), ain't no one going to starve to death on the two hour flight from Boston/Portsmouth to Columbus. And if they want to charge for grub, well, fine.  But there's an ominous point made here:

Oh, and don’t sneak food onboard unless you brought enough for the whole plane.

Do they have special carry-on checks to make sure that you haven't stashed a bag of M&M's or a snack bar in there? What about someone who's willing to sneak their Au Bon Pain sandwich into the fetid little toilet and eat it there. Will there be food detectors that go off?

Personally, I wouldn't mind if airlines banned people bringing sloppy, smelly, drippy food onboard, since they always seem to be sitting next to me. But a discreetly munched Caprese sandwich and small bad of Cape Codder chips from Au Bon Pain?

Again, just how are they going to police this one?

3. Bring a book.

Duh? Is there anyone who doesn't get on a plane with at least two 600 page books and the latest copy of Vanity Fair? One thing I've learned flying over the years is that 80% of the time I'm going to hate the in-flight movie. So, fine and dandy that there's no in-flight entertainment.

4. Don’t call us.

We don't have a phone number...those phone banks are expensive.

Well, this might preclude some people - like the elderly and the blind - from flying Skybus, but I'm guessing they wouldn't want them, anyway, since they might actually need some help getting on and off. And I'm guessing that if something terrible and unforeseen happens, there'll be people needing people and pretty po'd that there's no phone number, but I can see why they might not want people calling.

5. Don’t be late. We won’t be.

6. Don’t expect an army of gate agents.

Self-serve kiosks. Again, not a bad idea, but I can see some people - blind, elderly - having a bit of a problem with this. (I know that in the last few years of my mother's life - she died at 81, and was extremely with-it; at the time of her death she had 2 major plane trips planned - one of her kids would typically accompany her to the airports, since they were getting a bit overwhelming and chaotic for her to navigate on her own. Maybe Skybus is counting on that for elderly or handicapped travelers. That or the kindness of strangers.)

7. Yeah, we’ve got preferred seats. Sort of.

There are no fancy reclining beds onboard, but you can pay 10 bucks extra to board our brand-new A319 airplanes before anyone else.

No fancy reclining beds? I actually wish that airlines would do away with their unfancy reclining seats, since I invariably sit in back of some guy who immediately throws his seat back and I spend the trip with his head in my lap.

8. Tickets are nonrefundable.

9. Bigger is not better.

Big airports can be a big pain. We choose less crowded and more convenient secondary airports for better punctuality and, of course, lower prices.

I get the "less crowded", but "more convenient". I have news for Skybus. For someone who lives in Boston, Logan Airport is actually more convenient than Portsmouth, NH. 

10. No spontaneous dancing in the aisle.

I'm guessing part of that is because there probably isn't all that much space in those aisles.

I know that while low-cost airlines are - by definition - low-cost, they can't in the long run be no cost. (I have friends in Ireland who fly all over the place on Ryanair, since it is so cheap to just up and go pretty much anywhere in Europe for cheap. But if you want to plan well-ahead and count on a trip, Ryanair's prices, while moderate, are not all that low. The bargains are for the spontaneous, seats-are-empty-why-not-sell-them trips that people can take advantage of.)

Anyway, just for the hell of it, I tried doing the math on how Skybus can afford to run a flight from Boston/Portsmouth to Columbus for $10 a head (assuming they make no marginal money off me or anyone else for sandwich buying, baggage-checking, blanket-buying, or early-boarding privilege).

Skybus says that their planes have 150-plus seats. Say, they take that plane and somehow manage to plus it up by 10%. (Leg room is overrated, after all, as long as you're not taller than 5'9''.)

At full capacity, that's a whopping $1650.

Now, I don't know what kind of gas mileage their planes get, but I read somewhere that a 747 burns five gallons per mile. Well, Skybus planes are smaller than that, so let's just say they burn one gallon per mile. Even allowing no extra oomph for take-off, that's roughly 650 gallons of jet fuel to get you from Boston/Portsmouth to Columbus. At $2 a gallon per jet fuel, that's $1300.

Let's no worry any about sunk costs (like equipment). Let's just focus on other marginal costs. Well, after they spend $1300 on fuel, they've got a cool $350 to pay the pilot, co-pilot, and flight attendants. (I'm assuming they need at least two per flight to make sure that no one sneaks on with an Au Bon Pain sandwich or tries to dance in the aisles.)

Well...we know where this is heading.

Obviously, with all their efficiencies, they'll be able to offer lower fares.

But it's all about the trade-offs.

Me, I'm willing to forego the plastic airline meal and the seedy blanket, but not the convenience of being able to easily get to the airport.  Who wants to fly back from Columbus to Boston/Portsmouth and face a long drive back to Boston/Boston?

And what about comfort?

I'm guessing they don't call it Skybus for nothing.

At any rate, it will be interesting to see how Skybus fares when they blow into town - or thereabouts - in late May.

13 comments:

John Whiteside said...

That "don't bring food" thing would make me nuts - I always throw a PowerBar or something in my bag, because you just never know when you'll be hungry and trapped when you're flying. Even though I usually fly Continental, which still gives you food.

It sounds like the movie theaters - don't bring food, because we expect you to buy a $5 soda. Talk about a big incentive to carry a backpack.

That rule was ignored in DC - I once saw a movie while the people in front of me unveiled a picnic spread of hummous, pita break, and other snacks. It's much harder to get away with in car-oriented places where people tend not to carry big bags around.

Trixie said...

If you look at their website, they are really nickel and diming people to death with the extra charges. I predict pay toilets in the near future! It sounds like they would charge for the flotation devices and oxygen masks if they could - but I'm sure the FAA has regulations about that sort of thing....

42 said...

they intend to make money off the in-yer-face advertising that will be plastered over absolutely every surface in the plane, as well as the entire outer fuselage. For $100,000 you too can paint up an Airbus A319 as a flying paean to stupid ideas.

oh and Portsmouth? are they high? they have ordered 65 new planes from Airbus but I'll be real surprised if this thing ever gets off the ground.

Brooke the amazing wonderpony said...

As an entertainment reporter in Columbus, Ohio, I was disappointed to read that you don't think there's much reason to visit. Columbus is far more than a "pleasant enough city". It's one of the cultural hubs of the Midwest, particularly the Short north arts district, bursting with so many top destination restaurants, art galleries and individually owned boutiques that we can't even cover it all in our weekly arts and entertainment paper.

Entertainment-wise, we have multiple national acts come through town each week, plus one of the most vibrant and diverse local scenes of any similarly sized town.

Columbus's 1.5 million people (a number that keeps growing, particularly among young artists and professionals who are very finicky about their social calendars) wouldn't agree that their metropolis is a mere bump in the road on the way to anywhere. It may not be New York, but there's a lot more here than the Buckeyes.

Check out my blog Pop Rocks for more on what's to do each week in Columbus. www.columbusalive.com/poprocks

Maureen Rogers said...

42 - I can't wait to see the advertising. I hope they give out eyeshades.Oh, wait a minute, I hope they SELL eyeshades (or let me smuggle my own one on board).

Brooke - It's been about 10 years since I was last in Columbus, and I was admittedly there on business with little time to poke around. University towns have a wonderful way of attracting artists, writers, musicians, and cool and funky "stuff". Maybe I'll take one of those $10 flights and check it out. Thanks for your comment.

Anonymous said...

It's not $10 per head - It 10 for the first 10 people - then it goes up to 50 and 75 dollars and more - plus the baggage and all -

Not to mention, 5 gallons per mile (not sure if that is accurate), would vary a whole lot based on the weight of the plane - hence the 5 dollars for 1 checked bag 10 dollars or so for more than one.

Personally I think it's great - I don't want to pay for things I don't use - I almost always fly with only a backpack, so why pay for more?

Maureen Rogers said...

Thanks to anonymous for pointing out the fine print on only the first 10 flyers getting the $10 fare.

Anonymous said...

So whats wrong with Portsmouth....it just might be closer and more convenient for the population that lives North of Boston. (And on Friday evening at 5pm it seems like we have a lot of those people). Even ask all those people who have no problem in driving up to the outlets in Kittery ME (to "save" a few pennies) and then "spend" their evening in Portsmouth having dinner: far away from Boston ? Heck no !

And any airline that seeks to avoid already congested airports by going to nearby airfields (underused I might add) should be commended for not adding to the congestion. After all, sitting on a taxiway for 30 minutes with engines running CANT be good for the environment, fuel consumption or profit making ! So, maybe it is possible to make a profit with a startup airline by keeping the airplane in the air instead of sitting on the ground. That results in shorter schedules for us travellers (which we could spend that extra 30 minutes going up to Portsmouth instead of standing in traffic trying to drive to Logan, spending time getting from a huge overpriced parking garage, waiting in enormous security lines, just so we can get on the jet and wait to takeoff or wait in a holding pattern to land.) These guys in Skybus should get an award for the guts to escape the madness. OK, so I have to buy a $5 Pepsi from them....I dont drink the stuff during the day and I probably shouldnt drink it when I fly either !

Anonymous said...

This airline is something we all can say "it is about time". Get exactly what you want and not pay for the things you don't. I also think it is a good idea to go to the less busy airports, faster for sure, when was the last time you traveled through chicago, and wasted the entire day waiting to go somewhere. It might not be for everyone, but it would seem this is not trying to be everything for everyone. It just spells out what they do and how it will be done.
I don't know why eveyone is hung up on free food I wonder what that dryed up chicken sandwich cost you? I hope they come to my town soon..
deb

Anonymous said...

I tried Skybus to Boston/Portsmouth. I got a $10 ticket. Loved Portsmouth,hated Boston. Now as for Skybus, nice planes, employees etc. but you get what you pay for. I thought that I was on the Fung Wah bus as everyone was very confused.1 hour late in, 1 and 1/2 hours late back to Columbus. Same story to Greensboro, NC. 1 hour late leaving Columbus, 1 1/4 hours late returning. Don't use Skybus if you are making connecting flights anywhere!!!!

Maureen Rogers said...

Sounds like I'll need to keep an eye on Skybus. Obviously, for people who don't need to fly out of or into the major air hubs, it may be a good way to go - if they can get their operational kinks worked out. For someone like me, who lives a 10 minute cab ride (or short subway ride) from Logan, driving to Portsmouth to fly somewhere doesn't make much sense. But if I lived north of the city...

Meanwhile, to the most recent anonymous: sorry you hated Boston but I can understand why you loved Portsmouth. Portsmouth is a real gem: all that interesting architecture and history; great restaurants and shops; etc. (If you liked Portsmouth, try Portland Maine and Newburyport Massachusetts on your next $10 flight back.)

Bobotron said...

I am looking forward to my SkyBus trip to Boston/Portsmouth from Columbus in a couple weeks. Never been there before.

But... I still haven;t figured out how to get to Boston from Portsmouth Airport. Looks like maybe pay $28 round-trip for train fare? For two people, now that adds another $56 to my $10 tickets. Which by the way... two round-trip $10 tickets ended up being $72.70 after taxes, etc.

Maureen Rogers said...

Bob - I don't believe that there's train service from Portsmouth to Boston. The Downeaster makes a couple of stops in New Hampshire, and there may be bus transportation from Portsmouth Airport to the train. I think there may be shuttle buses from Portsmouth to Boston/Logan Airport. Or maybe to downtown Boston. Good luck and have fun in Boston. Lots of things to see - it's a great walking city.