Friday, January 05, 2007

So out of it

I recently followed a blog lead and went to the Piers Fawkes site to read the urtext on an article on Brand Abstinence (which I'll post on later today).

Running across the top of their site was a banner that said Josh reads it. Malcolm reads it. Seth reads it. Now you read it.

Seth I got right away. At least I think so. Marketing guru Seth Godin, right?

Malcolm took me a blink. My first thought was Malcolm Forbes, but I believe he's dead. So he's probably not reading Piers Fawkes. They must mean Malcolm Gladwell of The New Yorker.

Josh is a stumper for me. Josh Groban? Josh Hartnett? Josh the guy who lives upstairs? Josh who????????

I have a long history of being out of it, and there's no real need to rectify this condition now. Piers Fawkes may or may not have my readership, but they did get my attention.

Anyone out there got a clue who the mystery man is? Maybe there is no Josh. Maybe he's everyman. Maybe it's a little Piers Fawkes in-joke designed to wrack all would-be readers' nerves. Maybe it's someone so obvious that I'll be permanently enshrined in the Clueless Hall of Fame. Somebody, anybody, help me please. WHO IS JOSH?

2 comments:

Pete Warden said...

Those banner ads managed to confuse me too, I was sure about Seth, guessed at Malcolm, and had no clue who Josh was.

It bugged me enough I took it as a google research challenge. After that, my best guess is that they meant Josh Rubin, who runs http://www.coolhunting.com , a trend-spotting blog site. He's mentioned a lot on psfk ( http://www.google.com/search?q=+site%3Apsfk.com+%22josh+rubin%22 ), and it seems like a well-known site according to technorati.

Anonymous said...

Pete - I'm sure that you're correct about the "Josh" - thanks for solving the mystery. Wonder if the banner was an paid plug in any way, or just a friends looking out for friends kind of thing. I know I'm out of it, but Seth Godin and Malcolm Gladwell are a lot closer to household words than Josh Rubin is. I can imagine it's a coup to have your name associated with theirs.