Wednesday, June 07, 2023

An ode to Allbirds

I know, I know. I do (occasionally) read the business news. 

I know, I know. Things have been a bit rocky.

They missed their 4Q22 revenue target. By a lot.

Even though they beat (low) expectations, 1Q23 wasn't so hot, either.

One of their co-founders/co-CEO's departed the company.

Did the company go public too soon? Did they expand too quickly, opening too many stores? Is the direct-to-consumer model all that it's cracked up to be?

But I really and truly hope that Allbirds

makes it, because I love me their shoes. 

They claim wearing Allbirds is like walking on clouds, and I can vouch for that.

Inspired my sister Trish, who was sporting a pair of greys, I bought those dark blue ones about a year ago. 

They weren't my everyday sneakers. Even though I, with my flatty-flat feet, replaced the insoles with a pair of slightly more supportive orthotics, I do so much walking - I've averaged 7 miles a day for the last couple of years - that I've kept with New Balance or Asics for my long hauls.

But those Allbirds were just fine for shorter hops. And for hanging around the house. Super-comfy. Supportive enough. Super-comfy enough that I bought a black pair. And wore them daily (with orthotics replacing the comes-with insoles) on my recent trip to Ireland. I wasn't putting in 7 miles a day while I was there. More like 4. And the Allbirds stood the test.

So I decided to get a fun color.

Thus the turquoise pair, which I got on sale. (Some ask why someone who wears a size 11 would want a pair of ultra-bright turquoise sneaks. I say, why the hell not?)

I'd also been on the lookout for a pair of flats to wear in the summer, for those occasional occasions when I dress up a bit. I.e., put on a pair of black pants and a decent top. (I wear sneakers 99% of the time.) 

So I got a pair of Allbirds ballet flats. Which are super comfy, and have great support when compared to every other summer flat I've ever had. And they look plenty cute. No, they're not pointy toe styling, but they're not orthopedic clunky, either. Anyway, they're cute by old geezer lady standards, that's for sure. 

And when I wore them for the first time, it was like walking on clouds. Clouds that didn't give me blisters to boot. (To shoe?)

I wore them to the Saint Francis House volunteer appreciation dinner - maybe a mile-and-change round trip. I wore them out to dinner when we went to the foodie place on my visit to Tucson. I wore them out to the one dress-up dinner we had in Ireland. Then I put them to a longer test: up to Boston City Hall for a Saint Francis House reception for the exhibit of the works of our art therapy artists. (My house is already full of SFH outsider art, but, of course, I bought another painting at the exhibit.) Rather than go straight home, I went downtown to buy a mason jar (nut storage) at Home Goods and some salad dressing (too lazy to whip up my own) at Roach Bros. Then home.

Those ballet flats didn't let me down.

No foot pain, even after a couple of hours standing around and a longer than my normal flat-wearing walk.

So I bought a pair of blue ballet flats, too.

Given that I already have a pretty comfy, relatively supportive pair of Munro sandals - for when I get around to having a pedicure and can put my toe nails on display - I am now entirely good to go for summer footwear.

So thank you, Allbirds.

There is much to love about these shoes.

Okay, they're made in China, which is not my favorite thing in the world. (Some versions of New Balance sneakers are made in the US.)

But the company is dedicated to sustainability, from the materials they use, through their manufacturing process, through their shipping boxes. (The shoebox doubles as the shipping box. None of this Zappo's box-in-a-box nonsense.)

I guess if I were so committed to sustainability, I'd make do with one pair of sneakers and one pair of flats. But sometimes a girl - even an old girl - likes to mix it up.

So I'm all in on Allbirds. Sure hope the company makes it.

No comments: