Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Open to work? Who wouldn't want to hire David Besonen?

A couple of weeks ago, I enjoyed the great pleasure of going to a Ben Rector concert with my sister Trish and my niece Molly. They are both major Ben Rector fans - he's an amazingly talented singer-songwriter who doubles as an amazingly kind and decent person (truly, it would be shock to learn anything negative about this guy) - and, through them, I've become a fan myself. 

Other than the cluster associated with the ridonculous bag policy at the show's venue, and the fact that the evening, down by the waterfront, was a bit chillier than I'd planned for, it was an all-round wonderful night. And the most wonderful aspect to me was the story behind the band's saxophonist, David Besonen.

Last winter, Besonen put a clip of himself playing a Ben Rector tune on Instagram. As it turned out, Rector was looking for a saxophonist for his upcoming "Joy of Music" tour, so he reached back out to Besonen. 

Turns out that Besonen is "just" a kid, an early-twenty-something student at the University of Nebraska. 

But as long as he could keep up with his classes and take his exams virtually, Besonen was naturally game to join the tour.

David Besonen is a very talented sax player, and the story of his discovery was just so good...

I, of course, with my keen interest in good stories wrote one in my mind for Besonen. 

A Nebraska kid, probably hoping (along with his parents) to become the band teacher at Cornhusk H.S., gets discovered by a famous (middling famous, anyway) musician, and the rest is history. Lana Turner in Schwab Drugstore. Baby, take a bow.

I, of course, was wrong, as I learned when I found Besonen's Linkedin profile.

Having finished up his undergraduate degree in Computer Science (minors in Music and Math) in three years, Besonen's going on for his master's. Here's his statement:
I am a first year graduate student at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln pursuing a M.S. in Computer Science. During my time as an undergraduate student, I have been involved in the UNL Undergraduate Creative Activities and Research Experience (UCARE), the University’s Jazz Orchestra, the Jeffrey S. Raikes Design Studio Program, and the Initialize UNL Development Team, where I assist in the creation of web applications for non-profit student organizations.

Oh, is that all?  

His professional gigs include being a band member of the Ben Rector "The Joy of Music" Tour; working as a graduate research assistant in the university cyber-physical networking lab; and an internship at Blackbaud. All the while, madly volunteering and getting madly involved in all sorts of projects during his school years.

If it could get any cornier and more heartfelt, Besonen is from Apple Valley, Minnesota. It almost goes without saying that he's an Eagle Scout.

Careers come about in all sorts of different ways. Singular determination and drive. Accident of birth. Friends in high places. Drifting into something. Drifting out of something. Right place/right time. Opportunism. Dumb luck. Smart luck. 

By posting his saxophoning a Ben Rector tune on Instagram, David Besonen was making his own luck. And choosing Ben Rector - Mr. Nice Guy - to focus on was a smart move. 

I hope that, if he wants it, David Besonen has a brilliant musical career. Or, if he wants it, a great career as a computer scientist. Or, if he wants it, a great career as both.

His picture frame says #OPENTOWORK. 

Truly, who wouldn't want to hire this fellow? Soft rock on! (A star is maybe being born.)

No comments: