Friday, August 21, 2020

The most Worcester thing ever?

The other day, the Worcester Red Sox - a.k.a. the Woo Sox - unveiled the jerseys and caps that the players will wear when the team (fingers and toes crossed) takes to the field for the first time in the Heart of the Commonwealth (following a move from Pawtucket, RI, where the team was known as the Paw Sox). They've had gear for sale before this. Take it from me. Since last winter, I've purchased nine - count 'em, nine - ball caps for friends and family, including a couple for myself. 

This one incorporates the smiley face which, as everyone knows, was invented in Worcester. 

The team will not be wearing the smiley face for formal play, however. They'll be sporting more serious caps, and traditional baseball player player shirts. Which were what was revealed last Monday. 

Shortly after the unveiling, the jerseys and caps went on sale in the Table Talk Pie store, which is near the under-construction Polar Park where the Woo Sox will play.

Ah, Table Talk Pie...

There are few things more iconic in Worcester than a Table Talk Pie.

My mother was an excellent baker - apple, blueberry, lemon meringue (leaving pecan and mince to my Aunt Margaret) - so there wasn't much call for a Table Talk Pie to cross our threshold. But one summer, my sister Kath had a job near the Table Talk Pie factory, and sometimes she'd bring a bunch of day-olds home for us. We fell on those suckers. 

As an adult, I bought them on occasion, preferably cherry, second place lemon. (Couldn't find a pic of cherry. Alas.)


Since my mother made the best apple and blueberry pies in the world, there was absolutely no need (nor desire) to have one from Table Talk. But their cherry pie... What I wouldn't give for one at this very moment! 

Anyway, selling Woo Sox gear at the Table Talk Pie store strikes me as THE most Worcester thing ever. Could anything top this for peak Worcester? Maybe selling them at Coney Island Hot Dogs? Nah! This is it. Woo Sox jerseys at Table Talk. Wish I'd been there for it. 

No comments: