Tuesday, February 04, 2020

Co-working comes to Staples

For some, the can't-resist is a shoe store. For others, it's a jeweler. Or an artsy gift shop. 

Me? I like to poke in stores in general, but my big three are bookstores, container stores (i.e., The Container Store), and office supply stores. 

Ah, office supplies!

Since I got my first back-to-school pencil box, I've liked nothing better than having a newly-sharpened pencil, a pristine pad. 

I love having a goodly supply of yellow pads on hand. Post-its. Pens. Pencils. Eraser caps. (I do Sudoku.) A cheapo pencil sharpener or two.

I like to make sure I have plenty of folders, including the clear plastic ones that ziplock - sealing in my papers for freshness.

I'm happy if I have a non-dried up set of markers, manila envelopes in multiple sizes. 

I like knowing there's pair of scissors in the kitchen, in the living room credenza, in my office.  A stapler on both floors of my condo. Ditto for rolls of Scotch tape. And box-sealing tape. Paper clips. Alligator clips. 

And ordering any and all of this stuff is just not the same as strolling around the aisles and picking and choosing. So I'm happy that Staples is trying to hang in there, keeping its retail outlets open. And it's doing so by offering co-workings space in many of its stores, including my Staples, near Boston's Government Center.

When I was last in there, around Christmas, they were refiguring things. Yes, in order to make room for the co-workers, they had to get rid of a ton of the product space. But I was pleased to find that I could still get the yellow pads and the pens I'd come in for. 

While I saw the work-in-process, I haven't been back to see the new set up. So I haven't yet been able to:
Meet the new Staples: It’s not just an office supply superstore anymore, it is, the company puts it, a “destination dedicated to continued curiosity, growth, and development." (Source: Boston Globe)
Is it just me, or does "continued curiosity, growth and development" sound more like pre-school than it does like co-working space? 

To me, co-working space is about professionalism. Working out of Stapes sure beats trying to do work while sitting at a co-coffee table at Caffè Nero, hoping that the guy next to you won't slop his Flat White onto your laptop.

It's about community. One of the worst aspects of the gig economy is that you don't get the built in social life that comes when everyone's in the office together. Sure, some might argue that this is one of the best aspects of the gig economy, but to me, even if your colleagues don't end up being your BFF's - and I have made some of my BFF's at work - it's nice to have folks to grab lunch with, to catch up with at the water cooler, to share that sheet cake with when there's baby shower for someone in accounting. Sometimes it's nice to see the same old faces, day after day.

And coworking is about getting out of the house and giving yourself a change of scenery.

Bonus points in that, at Staples, yellow pads are within reach.

This re-work is all about Staples fighting for survival:
Staples built a leading national brand as the traditional stationery store on steroids. But in the three decades since its conception, the workplace — and how we shop for it — have undergone transformational changes. Cloud-based computing, telecommuting, and the ease of one-click ordering have diminished demand for big-box stores stocked with reams of paper. Now, in a dramatic effort to stay relevant, Staples is recasting itself as a place where you can co-work, record a podcast, stock up for your next Uber shift — or even get fingerprinted for a job.
If I wanted to get me some co-working space in my Staples, it would cost me $499 a month ($999 for a dedicated private office). Seems kind of high - it's a bit more than WeWork - but I didn't do a full compare-and-contrast. These days, I'm barely working, and if I want to sit and stare at my computer screen somewhere other than my condo, I can go the The Boston Athenaeum, a funky and beautiful private library that I'm a member of. 

There are, of course, things that Staples provides that The Ath doesn't:
Members and store customers can get free access to fancy AV-enabled meeting rooms that will also host seminars and workshops. And members can use podcast studios gratis (available to nonmembers for $60 an hour). Concierge services like legal, funding, or HR advice are available for small-business customers. And anyone can apply for a TSA PreCheck, a special state license, or a background check. 
Then again, Athenaeum members don't need TSA PreCheck. They're doing great research, writing great books, thinking great thoughts, listening to lectures by those who have done great reseaerch, written great books, and thought great thoughts  - and staring at their computer screens. 

Not clear yet whether Staples will succeed. There's plenty of competition around from WeWork and others. But I wish them well. 

In fact, I wish them more than well.

I want those Staples stores to stay alive. I really don't want to have to go online to buy my yellow pads, and I'm running low...

No comments: