Monday, September 02, 2019

Labor Day 2019. Happy 125th!

It’s Labor Day. The 125th anniversary of Labor Day, as it was first celebrated as a national holiday in September of 1894.

A number of states had begun observing this holiday earlier. Oregon, Colorado, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York all did so in 1887. With the exception of Colorado (a purple state swinging blue), I will note that these are all blue states. Just sayin’.

And if you’re wondering why we celebrate this day, here you go:

Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country. (Source: Department of Labor)

Cities had begun celebrating Labor Day even earlier than the Feds, and while I couldn’t find any info to support my belief here, I’m guessing that Boston was one of the first cities to do so. And I’m guessing that the celebration was put on by a bunch of swing-a-hammer Irishmen.

Speaking of swing-a-hammer Irishmen, I will be in the presence of plenty of them at this morning’s Greater Boston Labor Council Annual Labor Day Breakfast. My brother Rich runs the GBLC, and the purpose of this event is this:

THE GBLC LABOR DAY BREAKFAST PROVIDES US WITH THE OPPORTUNITY TO HONOR THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF LABOR TO SOCIETY AND REFLECT ON THE STRUGGLES AND RICH TRADITIONS OF THE GREATER BOSTON LABOR MOVEMENT. (Source: GBLC)

Although the building trades make up a good part of the GBLC, there are plenty of other unions represented, including teachers and service workers. And the organization (and the breakfast) is a lot more diverse than just the swing-a-hammer guys.

The breakfast is pretty good, food-wise, and while there is a lot of speechifying, some of it is remarkably good. Senator Elizabeth Warren probably won’t be there this year – she usual comes – but she’s pretty busy these days, what with all the plans.

But if the past is a predictor of the future, we’ll probably hear from the Mayor, Ed Markey (our other senator), a couple of members of Congress and a few other pols.

Fortunately, we don’t have to worry about the current Oval Office incumbent showing up, as he has no love for labor and I believe the only blue state he ever shows up in is New Jersey. And that’s to golf.

But in 2015, the real thing dropped in.

This picture is awful, I know, but that’s Barack Obama at the podium. Sigh. And that’s my brother Rich, two down from Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey in the green dress. Rich is standing next to Mayor Marty Walsh, and my brother is tieless. Marty has a tie on, but when he went to the airport to greet the President, he found that POTUS was without tie, so they sent a text alert to the fellows on the dais, who all took their ties off.

I have to say it was quite a thrill to hear President Obama give a shout out to my baby brother.

That was then, and this is now, so today I’ll be at the GLBC breakfast mostly to honor my brother, who has dedicated his life to the labor movement – first as an organizer for UFCW, then as the political director of Mass AFL-CIO, and for the past 8 years running the Greater Boston Labor Council. Proud I am!

Happy Labor Day to all, but especially to my brother, who hear and soul, has been all in on his work from the get-go.

---------------------------------------------------------

I’ve been writing about Labor Day for a good long time. Here’s my first Labor Day post, from way back in 2007: I dreamed I saw Joe Hill last night. And here’s my 2018 edition.



No comments: