Thursday, July 04, 2019

Fingers crossed that this year’s Fourth doesn’t turn inglorious

I’m not much for prayers, but, if I were the praying type, I would normally have been praying for fair weather today across the country. So that everyone could enjoy their picnics, their cookouts, their parades, their band concerts, their fireworks, their reading of the Declaration of Independence.

But given that Trump is planning to hijack what has historically been a patriotic but largely apolitical celebration – concert and fireworks in DC – and turn it into a pep rally glorifying himself, if I were the praying type, I’d be praying for ferocious thunder storms in Washington, DC, centered on the Lincoln Memorial.

I guess there’s some miniscule probability that Trump will go “presidential”, and do a stilted, inauthentic, phony-baloney speech. But the narcissist-in-chief has been encouraging his fanbase to descend on the capital and MAGA-away. So I’m expecting his usual rambling, lie-packed, foaming at the mouth collection of this greatest hits: no obstruction, no collusion, some say the greatest president ever, biggest inauguration crowd, super-duper Electoral College win, voter fraud in California, lock-her-up, invasion by MS-13, Pocahontas, Putin’s a great guy, MBS had nothing to do with Khashoggi’s murder, how ‘bout that Kim Jong Un, they say they’d never seen the Queen happier, Obama=bad man, Demorats hate America, the best brain ever…

If you’re into fascistic, white nationalist foreplay, this night could be yours…

So I’m hoping that a storm prevents this inglorious bastard from turning the Glorious Fourth into something foul and inglorious.

I’m not always this down on the Fourth, a holiday I’m usually quite fond of. But inglorious times call for desperate, perhaps even pissy measures.

Here’s a Fourth of July post from a better time.

Anyway, have a Glorious Fourth. And although I find it hard to take my own advice, don’t let the inglorious bastard currently occupying the White House get you down.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Amen!