Wednesday, July 04, 2018

For what it’s worth, here’s to a Glorious Fourth

I’m not a big, go-all-out celebrator, but I’ve always enjoyed the Fourth of July. I sing “Grand Old Flag” in the shower. I watch the Boston Pops on TV and the fireworks out my window. Or I go to the band concert in Salem and watch their fireworks. I read the Declaration of Independence. I think about what geniuses the Founding Fathers were.

But this year, I’m thinking that those same geniuses who gave us the good stuff also saddled us with the Electoral College. What the f were they thinking???

This year, it’s hard to get all that enthused.

I know way, way, way too much about the origins of fascism to look at what’s going on and try to convince myself that everything’s going to be okay. I’m mostly sure things will be. We’re resilient. We’re centrist. We compromise (or used to). But could it happen here? When the “man” in charge is hell bent on tearing down the institutions that have made things mostly work… Never say never.

Nonetheless, on this Fourth of July, I’m going with the words – a recent tweet – from the great Congressman John Lewis

Do not get lost in a sea of despair. Be hopeful, be optimistic. Our struggle is not the struggle of a day, a week, a month, or a year, it is the struggle of a lifetime. Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble.

Thank you, John Lewis, for what you have always been and who you always are.

I probably won’t be getting into any trouble or making much noise today.

Alongside my friend K – who immigrated with her family to the U.S. as a child - I’ll be working in the kitchen at St. Francis House, where it will be hot and noisy, and where I’ll be wearing my baseball cap with the American flag on it. (If you don’t wear a cap or headscarf, you have to wear a hairnet, which makes one look really crazy.) I believe that there’s something called fajita hot dogs on the menu. Don’t know quite what it is, but hot dog sounds Fourth of July-ish. Maybe I’ll stop at Roche Brothers and get a cupcake with red-white-and-blue on it. I’ll make some noise singing along with the patriotic Pops medley. And I’ll take in the noise of the fireworks, which are shot off a two-minute walk from here.

For what it’s worth, here’s to a Glorious Fourth.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wasn’t always so pessimistic. Here’s my inaugural Fourth of July post from 2007. Even last year, things didn’t appear quite as dire as they do now.

No comments: