Monday, April 01, 2013

Spammit all

Each week, I work with one of my clients on a blog post. One or the other of us comes up with an idea. I start writing about it, pinging him along the way if I have any questions. I then send the draft to him for his edits. I then do any final clean up and post it in his name.

We’ve only been doing this for a couple of months, but it’s working out pretty well, and we’re having fun.

So are the spammers, which have – quite hilariously – glommed on to one of our posts and are coming out of the woodwork.

Before I launch into my spamalysis, I should probably mention that this blog is for a deeply, deeply, deeply technical company. None of this B2C, or B2B. Nope, these guys are strictly EE2EE, and they are among my all time favorite clients. I completely love them to death, not just because they are wonderful people, but because I’ve learned a tremendous amount from them.  I’m not quite an honorary electrical engineer, but I know a lot more about chips and boards and sensors and connectors and signal processing than I used to.  And I now know how to read block diagrams.

Anyway, the post that set off spam-a-lot was actually one of the geekier ones we’ve done. Perhaps it was the use of the word “vibration” in the title that triggered such a reaction from spammers/spam engines.

At least that might explain the sex-related comments, like this one from a company in India promising “Livesex on Cam” – which I assume means “on camera” as opposed to punting-on-the-River Cam, where I suppose that the occasional Cambridge University student has engaged in live sex. When I thought about it, of course, I realized that the young Indians who studied at the Oxbridge U’s were more likely to end up running hedge funds in The City than back in India, working as spammers. And they would likely have a better grasp on The Queen’s English.

Ahaa, its nice dialogue regarding this article here at this
web site, I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting at this place.

The folks in India weren’t the only ones plumping for live sex on camera. “Krisztina” practiced her English – or a content generating engine that needs a bit more work sent something out there - on behalf of what’s apparently a major sex site. (Alas, I googled it. Even though I most certainly didn’t click through on anything. So now I’ll probably be getting popups and personal spam coming from all over the globe.)

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

Of course, gibberishing probably doesn’t detract much from the journey in store at the live cam site…

One of the other sex-cammers was more succinct:

Thanks for sharing such a good opinion, article is pleasant, that’s why i have read it entirely

Well, I’ll take credit for the article being pleasant, but, come on, how hard is it to read entirely a post that’s only 400 words long?

To be sure, the spam wasn’t all sex-related.

Someone was pushing dining room tables:

I was pretty pleased to find this website. I need to to thank you for ones time due to this fantastic read!! I definitely savored every part of it and i also have you saved as a favorite to see new stuff on your web site.

And someone else pushing decorated king-sized beds (seemingly on a Brazilian Harry Potter-related site. At least that’s what it looked like when I googled it, but I didn’t dig too deep.):

Thanks for finally writing about  this. Liked it!

And someone pushing fake Christian Louboutins had this to say:

This will be the correct weblog for everyone who desires to find out about this subject. You recognize so significantly its virtually challenging to argue with you (not that I actually would want?-HaHa). You undoubtedly put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Wonderful stuff, just very good!

Chicken! I’d actually find it virtually challenging to argue with you – HaHa!!

Faux Louis Vuitton gear was a major spamming theme – and, boy, do they spam long comments. Here’s a snippet from one of the many we got:

louis vuitton handbags the variety of this bag pattern comes from its unique quilted diamond check grain of the materials louis vuitton 2013Every girl wishes for all the best for the big day and finding that something sexy and romantic can help to make it an extra special night too with some beautiful bridal lingerie. Your big day is important but so is your special wedding night. A night to remember.

Okay. Maybe louis Vuitton does sell lingerie, but I can’t imagine that there very many men on the face of the earth who would find it sexy if his bride was lugging a big brown and gold Louis bag – real or ersatz – into the honeymoon suite.

Guateng, South Africa-related companies were quite a source of spammy comments. This from someone fronting for a Johannesburg private investigation company:

Really no matter if someone doesn’t understand after that its up to other viewers that they will assist, so here it happens.

And from someone “working” on behalf of a business removals company:

This is a very good tip especially to those new to the blogosphere. Brief but very accurate info… Appreciate your sharing this one. A must read post!

At least they got something right here. The post was both brief and accurate.

Unlike the person (or thing) commenting for the South African logistics firm:

Someone necessarily help to make seriously articles I’d state. This is the very first time I frequented your website page and up to now? I amazed with the analysis you made to create this particular put up extraordinary. Excellent activity!

I did like the esprit of the Guateng shuttle service spam:

I delight in, result in I discovered exactly what I was taking a look for.

You’ve ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

I am more than happy to have ended someone’s four day lengthy hunt for information on shock and vibration testing for connectors on small form factor SoMs. Must have been a real drag, all that searching.

Anyway, plenty more spam where these came from.

But I’ll end with this from a commenter linking to a post on white dwarves from a French blog on astrophysics:

Hello! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my previous room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this write-up to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

That previous room mate must be really something, since this comment shows up on websites for Bible study, Ikea ornaments, fishing tackle, and football.

To all our spammers:

Many thanks for sharing!

Sorry we just couldn’t bring ourselves to actually publish your comments.

No comments: