Thursday, September 11, 2008

As if I didn't already like the guy

  • He's smart.
  • He was rejected by Harvard Business School (or so I read on Wikipedia).
  • He seems to have a good sense of humor.
  • He looks like a nice guy.
  • He lives in his very own home town.
  • He doesn't live in a 40,000 square foot, indulge-my-every-whim mansion.
  • He's a mega-philanthropist.
  • Hate (as if) to tip my political hand, but he gives a fair amount of money to my political party.

But watching Tuesday night's Red Sox game on TV, I learned that Warren Buffett is a Red Sox fan.

Yes, he grew up in Omaha, where he - with geographic logic - was a St. Louis Cardinals fan. But he's apparently been a bi-leaguer, and is also a Red Sox fan. At one point when he was a kid, he even wrote a letter to Ted Williams.

Wonder who he roots for when the Red Sox pay the Cardinals in the World Series, as has happened in 1946 (Boo!), 1967 (Boo-hoo!), and 2004 (Yea!).

No, I won't let myself go there.

I like Warren Buffett just the way he is now: a Red Sox fan. (Even though he didn't bring the boys good luck  - they blew the game in the 9th and lost by a run.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's to those who went to work on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 - a beautiful day in NYC, Washington, and Boston - thinking it was just another work day. Hard to believe it's been 7 years. Here's what I was doing.

No comments: