Thursday, July 10, 2008

Things I Buy Too Many Of

The other day, when I went into CVS to buy yet another pocket comb, I had to ask myself: where have the other dozen or so pocket combs I bought in the last year gone?g

I don't have all that many pocketbooks, so I should be able to have one-per-pocketbook, no problem - especially given that I always seem to buying the darned things.

Or is the problem that, in addition to those pocketbooks that -come to enumerate them, does represent a quantity greater than I would have thought off the top of my head - I also have two backpacks, two briefcases, three "things" that you can fit your sunglasses, cell phone, and some money into and hang around your neck, and more tote-bags than I could shake a pocket comb at.

What I really need to do  is take a bag inventory, combined with a comb inventory. Then, after throwing out all the combs with broken teeth, I should go out and buy enough combs so that I can equip ever carrying-object with one. Plus a few left over, just in case, for my raincoat and parka pockets. And maybe my good winter coat and the blue suede jacket, while I'm at it.

In any case, I never seem to have a pocket comb when I need one and thus find myself, on every windy day when I have to be somewhere where it would be nice if my hair looked at least halfway decent, ducking into a CVS or some sort of corner variety store to by yet another pocket comb.

This seems to go for nail clippers, as well.

I always seem to be buying them, but never seem to have one handy when I need to clip a nail.

Even the one I keep handy-dandy on the bathroom shelf seems to take wing periodically.

With combs, of course, you do have the occasional breakage problem. But nail clippers, unless you're trying to use them for something they're not designed for - like trying to open clambox packaging or prying out old grout - don't break all that often.

The other things I buy an awful lot of - pencils, pens, and yellow pads - I at least use up. Although I must say that I probably have a life time supply of Post-It notes in just about every color they come in. (Which does not prevent me from buying more when I see a new color assortment at Staples.)

Umbrellas are yet another item that I can't seem to have enough of.

While I don't buy them with anywhere near the regularity that I do with pocket comb and nail clippers, I do seem to end up with at least one or two new ones every year.

I now have three black umbrellas, one periwinkle blue, one wine-colored, one beige, one multi-colored striped, one Mickey Mouse pattern (what was I thinking), and some sort of outsized golf umbrella I got at some company event.

Yes, umbrellas do break - especially if you live in a city that has some seriously windy nasty weather; one storm day last winter, I counted over 50 dead umbrellas on a mile-long walk through downtown - but my count is just of the ones that are in working order (although many of them no longer have the sheath they came with).

Tape measures. Key chains. Little boxes to put stuff in.

And don't even get me going on black pants, China blue shirts, and periwinkle sweaters....

Why do I end up with so many of the same damned things?

No comments: